Beyond Capital – Summer Reading List
- Not all private equity firms are alike. Here is some compelling research from the Harvard Business Review on how the backgrounds and characteristics of private equity managers may influence their strategies, and perhaps their long-term success.
- AI is transforming business. This article from OpenView Partners illustrates how the area of sales and marketing is no exception to the influence of AI.
- Cyber security is a threat that all businesses need to take seriously. The evidence that small businesses should be serious about defending against cyber security is found in these compelling statistics from Small Business Trends.
- Finding and keeping the great people is both a challenge and a competitive necessity. According to this article, if you are looking for a product manager, individuals with the fundamental traits you seek might be found in the kitchen or the military.
- Who, by Geoff Smart and Randy Street : This book is a must read for those interested in developing the skills and disciplines for successful hiring. The authors share their experience and research to help readers bring their “A-game” to hiring A-players.
- REWORK by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson: The authors’ subject is how to move a small and/or new company ahead, and not get bogged down by excessive caution; by conventional views about how a business should be managed (which may be not so great in a big company, and may be ruinously dysfunctional in a small one); and by failure to use time effectively and selectively.
- REMOTE by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hansson: By the same two talented authors as ‘Rework’, this book is really a manifesto in favor of employers being flexible about employees working from home — or even insisting on it .
- The Driver and the Driverless Car: How Our Technology Choices Will Create the Future , by Vivek Wadhwa and Alex Salkever.